On a domestic basis, where we have a product that our clients wish to export outside the boundaries of the United States, we can assist in arranging a wide range of services including, but not limited to:
- Finding the necessary packaging to meet shipping standards;
- Securing freight companies for shipping to a port or airport;
- Assistance in securing necessary bonds and paperwork for shipment outside the US;
- Assistance in locating a qualified shipping and freight forwarding agent stateside who will ensure the shipment reaches its destination;
- Assistance in finding a qualified agent on the receiving end of the delivery who will aid in customs clearance and can assist in securing a freight and delivery service to your customer; and
- Assistance in securing the insurance, bonds and inspections that may be required to allow for a delivery that will be accepted by the buyer.
These tasks are all a part of any international transaction, and one that can be troublesome if you don’t have the right team in place.
On the domestic side of a transaction, there are many elements that must be covered to allow for a product to enter the United States from a foreign nation.
Our clients wish to receive goods from a foreign shipper, and, based on the classification of the product, there may be many restrictions to importing them. The U.S. Customs and Border Patrol Agency must enforce not only American laws but also, by treaty, enforce the laws of over 40 nations that have agreements in place with the United States. Finding the necessary categories and admissible products to satisfy these regulations can be a challenge.
Examples of some restrictions include: Dangerous Toys, Cars that have not been approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Bush Meat, Illegal substances (such as Absinthe, Rohypnol, Heroin, Cocaine, etc.), Firearms (without specific certifications), Certain Fruits, Vegetables, Rice and Food Stuffs that may harbor insects, Animal products, Live Animals, Animal Hides merchandise from Embargoed Countries, Medications, Gold, Fish (unless processed and inspected to FDA standards), Plants and Seeds, Photographic Film, Hunting Trophies and Soil.
Our Import Services include, but are not limited to:
- Shippers may need assistance in securing a Licensed Customs Broker who has access to a bonded warehouse that is capable of storing your shipment and holding it for inspection and approval by US Customs and/or other agencies.
- Shippers must file necessary bonds and paperwork for shipments to the US,
- Shippers may need assistance in filing the Importer Security Filing (ISF) for any ocean shipments a minimum of 2 days prior to the cargo sailing,
- Shippers may require assistance locating a qualified freight forwarding agent once the shipment is received and US Customs has provided clearance.
- Shippers must ensure that required certifications are in place from agencies such as the FDA, DOT, FTC, ATF, DOD, etc.
- Shippers may need assistance in securing insurance and inspections of the shipment upon release to allow acceptance by the Buyer.
All of these items are part of an international transaction and any one of them can delay or stop your shipment if you don’t have the right team in place.